I discovered her blog a couple of years ago and then a year ago, introduced Dan to her website for the light reading on photography. He was attracted to her story "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels." So, back in September or October when she announced her book tour and said that she'd be at the Mall of America, we both agreed to go...
We got to the MOA around noon and quickly got in line. Thankfully, we'd stopped at FrickDonalds (Louie speak for the Golden Arches). It was a LONG line. Then the waiting began.
I stood in line, while Dan ran around the mall with Louie and Emily. (Legoland is a MUST so Louie can ooogle over the Lego Pirates! Rainforest Cafe for the big gator and Nordstrom kids shoe department for the aquarium)
While they were gone, my new friends and I were interviewed by the Mall Cops for an upcoming episode on TLC. The MOA's finest.

Then, Marlboro Man and two of the Punks came by and there was a SWARM of people to get their books signed.

These two boys sat on the floor and signed books for crazy fans....then they got bored and started doing face painting with the Sharpies!

Then the line started to move and me and my new friends got closer to the front. As we got closer, we could see Ree's new hair color. She's a brunette now....Dan reported that she must not be happy wiht her color change, as she was looking for someplace to fix her hair on Twitter (two things wrong here: how on earth does my husband know what Twitter is? and does he really care about her hair?) ... I don't know what it looked like in Chicago, but it looked a little 1984 on Saturday! PW really shouldn't have worried about her hair, I want to know where the hell she found that jacket and who on earth told her it looked good? I think she got it from Steven Tyler...

Then we continued to wait and the line was moving and moving and moving. Then, as we were waiting, Marlboro Man came and sat down at the table by the line and started signing books. We had been telling the kids what we were doing there and Emily took the book up to the table he was at and asked him to sign it.


"Hi, my name is Emily."
"Emily, would you like a cookie?" "yes!" and the punks next to him shared their cookies with her. She was so excited to have a cookie. Apparently, we don't feed our children and I need to teach them about taking food from strangers.....
Then, the horrible photos began....you would think that after seeing this post, I have never before held a camera in my hand! but you see it was DAYLIGHT when we got there, it was DARK out when we finally got to the front of the line. The stage was under an balcony overhang and was sort of DARK! My 5D does not have a FLASH and I didn't have the right LENS on it. Very poor PLANNING on my part! But I was trying to make it easy on myself that day....
This is my new friend, she was there for her BFF's birthday gift. I told her that I would take a photo of her and this is the BEST that I could do? How lame am I???
Then, it was our turn....not much better....Here's our best shot with Ree...sorry to say, you won't be receiving a Christmas card from us this year with a strange woman in the photo with us...
It was at this point that my children had just about had it with this whole day of waiting and waiting. They sat there and made cute faces at the camera.
Dan predicted that the meltdowns would start when we got to the front of the line and sure enough, my 3 yr old threw himself on the floor and refused to look at the camera. He said hi to Ree and showed her his cowboy boots and then he was done!I was in such a hurry to get out of there that I just grabbed my books and ran! We got home at 7:30pm. Got the kids to bed and then I went to bed at 9pm, I needed my rest. Sunday morning, I had plans to go to my friend Mike's house and photograph his brand new, fresh from the oven twin babies.....
So, while I was getting all of my stuff ready on Sunday morning, things like my camera that apparently I have never used before Saturday, I opened the books to read what Ree had written.....Thank goodness I got a GREAT night sleep on Saturday night, because I found this!!

Now, I have to go call in to the office and let them know I won't be at work on Monday! I need to get over to the Hennepin County Government Center and stand in another line...this time, I'm changing my name to Jill. I've always liked the name Jill...it's sort of growing on me.
Oh well, we had a fun day on Saturday....it was a Pelletier Family Fun Day at the Mall of America. I've lived 5 minutes from the mall for YEARS and have never spent more than 2 hours there. We had a great day and met some really nice ladies! And let's not forget, I could be making a cameo appearance on TLC's "Mall Cops: Mall of America."
More tomorrow,
Jill


11 comments:
What a fun adventurous story Jill!!
So cool (and a little envious on my part) that you got to meet them all.
"Jill"--what a great story. Much better than if she'd used your real name.
What is Marlboro man's first name? I can't read it on the book page!! Please tell!!
So what IS your real name? Does it even look or sound like Jill??
I had the VERY same issue with lighting, I was very disappointed that it was dark by the time I got up there and my picture with Ree is not very good either.
Hi,
Stumbled on your site from PW's. Very jealous to hear you got to see her & get your book signed.
Somehow I just don't think she's going to make it to Camp Humphreys in South Korea. So I'm living vicariously through everyone else's posts.
You take AMAZING pictures, by the way. Completely jealous of that, too.
Much love from an overseas Army wife,
Jennifer
nice pics...especially of Malboro Man
Ohhh! Bummer about Jill and not Juli! The pics of you and your family are ADORABLE though :)
How fun Juli! I just got this book for myself finally. I made the potato skins for Sunday's game and have since enjoyed reading through it. Fun post!
Post a Comment