I forgot to mention Emily's appointment.We have a concern about her being caught up in time to attend mainstream kindergarten, we are hoping that she would be able to go to Nativity School. Based on the assessment that everyone submitted, she is showing up with the maturity or a 2.9 year old child. A little more than a year behind in development. The speech therapy, physical therapy and occupational therapy that she receives at school right now is doing wonders for her, but she's not progressing as well as we had hoped. So, in order to be assured that she is going to receive the therapy through the summer (May-September is a long time to go with nothing), he is writing her current evaluation to say that she is borderline on the cerebral palsy spectrum and will require treatment through the summer and all next school year. If necessary, this diagnosis on her record will keep her alligned to receive the services needed through St. Paul Schools. I have always be leary of having a label of "cerebral palsy" attached to her as I don't want it to follow Emily throughout her whole schooling. However, right now she needs the special attention and treatment that goes along with that diagnosis. Dr. Tervo also gave Dan a book on toilet training your "special child." We're doing what we can right now, we're just waiting for the lightbulb to go off in Emily's head so that she will be more confident in herself to be fully trained.
1 comment:
Juli:
I am sorry to hear she didn't test where you would have hoped. But I know that you and Dan are great parents doing all you can. She will do fabulous things.
You're in my prayers!!!
love ya,
sara
Post a Comment