Monday, July 28, 2008

The Weekend

It was a busy weekend . . .
On Friday, I took the kids to the White Bear Lake Relay for Life. They had so much fun, what a great event. It was held at the White Bear Lake High School South Campus.
We got there around 6:30 and immediately found my Dad's luminaria bags, he had several bags there. We were also able to find my Aunt Rita's luminaria as well; she is my Dad's sister, Rita passed away back in 1984 or 1985 (I think??) from cancer. They were in the "In Memory of" section.
After that, we walked around the track and checked out all the teams that were there. There was tons of stuff there for kids to do. When we located my mom's friends that had a team there, we parked our stuff and I took the kids around again. This time, participating in all the fun stuff.
We got glow stick necklaces, ice cream, popcorn and all sorts of $1 junk. The highlight for Louie, was seeing the WBL ladder fire truck. He got to wear the big fire fighter hat and it was all good. Now, he's all about fire fighters and fire trucks. He wants to wear his long sleeved fire truck shirt all the time now. He's been sleeping with it like a blankie.
At dusk, they started the slide show in the Memorial Garden. There was a slide show of 100 people who have passed away. It was supposed to be a peaceful place to remember those people. Until I got over there with my kids. . . . the fountain that was there soon became a splashing pond, there was running and jumping, etc. Then my dad's picture came up on the slideshow and both Emily and Louie started screaming that Papa's picture was there. They were so excited to see him. An older woman that was sitting there trying to enjoy the show asked them where Papa was. Louie said, "Papa is up in heaven with Jesus and the Angels." Emily just yelled "he's with Jesus." I guess it is sinking in to them where Papa is. They ask about him everyday.
I have lots of pictures, but will post them tonight. I haven't had time to get them all uploaded.

On Saturday morning, I took the kids on a bike ride over to the Wabun wading pool. Knowing that they were going to be tired and crabby early, we were out the door by 8:30! I was amazed that we got going that early. Anyhow, we were the first ones there and they had a ball playing. By the time we left, the pool was packed! We were home, with lunch done and down for naps at 11:45. We love the Wabun wading pool! It is so close and we get to ride across the Mississippi River to get there! Louie thinks that is so cool, he loves to say 'mississippi.'

No comments: