As most of the readers of this blog know, my Dad passed away early on Monday, June 30.While I am so sad and broken hearted that he isn't here to talk to everyday at work, I am so happy to have been a part of his departure from this world. I am comforted in knowing that he was at peace and didn't suffer in any way. The moments leading up to his passing are truly amazing! When we were called back to the hospital at 2:30 am, the doctor informed us that his body was shutting down following the cardiac arrest that he'd experienced earlier in the night. Father O'Gara came to the hospital and gave my Dad his last rights and we all said some prayers together. (preface to the next portion of the story: a year ago, when my Dad was diagnosed with the non-curable bladder cancer, my friend Judy sent me a 54 day Rosary novena to share with my parents, they prayed the Rosary every night before bed for a year, together . . .) My Mom then realized that she hadn't said the Rosary for that night. She got her Rosary out of her purse and went through the fastest Rosary that I've every heard. As she was saying it, I watched her feed each bead through my Dad's fingers from across the bed. At the end of the Rosary, she said, "We've said our last Rosary together Jerry. It is ok to let go now. I love you." It was amazing, he peacefully passed away at that moment. I will treasure that memory for the rest of my life.
The thing that I struggle with each passing day is, how will my two children ever know what a wonderful and good man he was? The world would be such a better place if there were more people like him. He had such courage as he faced every stage of illness in his life and he always looked at everything with optimism. I know that the last year had been an extremely difficult one, knowing that each family gathering for a particular holiday or whatever would be his last. I can't express how I treasure all the memories that I have; Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break in Florida, Easter, etc. Each of them will be engrained in my mind forever.
This picture of my Dad was taken in August of 2007 by Olivia, we used it on his prayer card. Everyone commented that it was such a great picture of him and really reflected his personality with his smile. I love it and am so thankful that we have it!
We're getting through each passing day and each day my two little kids ask where Papa is. Dan and I are doing our best to explain that he's gone to live in heaven with God so that he can watch over us and keep us safe forever. Hopefully, someday they'll understand what we're talking about. Until then, we have to make sure that he's not forgotten in their minds . . . Emily and Louie really brightened my Dad's day when he would see them. He was so proud of all four of us kids and each of his grandchildren.


2 comments:
Julie & Family- I am so sorry for your loss. We will continue to keep you in our prayers through this difficult time. What a wonderful story of his passing. A memory to keep forever.
Myra & Family
I cried when I heard both the story of your dad passing away after finishing his last rosary with your mom, as well as during Joe's eulogy - and I'm crying again. Though I just got to know your dad over the last few years, he always seemed to have something funny to say - you get that from him, Juli (one of many wonderful traits you inherited I'm sure). No doubt Emmy & Louie will come to know what a great man he was by seeing what a wonderful daughter he (and your mom) raised. And I'm sure the Jerry stories will be told over and over throughout the years. Love you guys. Tesa
Post a Comment